Saturday, February 28, 2009

Quite a Scare

About a week ago, Dan was playing with Mya on the floor. He was laying on the floor on his back and she was jumping on him. He turned his head to talk to me and without realizing it, Mya took a running leap and jumped on his stomach. Now those of you who know my husband would think, "How could a 25 pound little girl hurt such a muscle man?" After she jumped on him, he started complaining about a pain in his side. This pain continued on throughout the week and he thought it was just a strained muscle on the abdominal wall. On Thursday of this week he came home from work early because he had a fever. He stayed in bed all afternoon and slept a lot. He seemed to be feeling better by the evening so he went to work on Friday. Friday afternoon he sneezed at work and had excruciating pain. So he called me to tell me that he was driving himself to the emergency room. I met him there and we were in the ER for 7 hours while they were diagnosing him. While he was in the ER his fever shot up and he was shaking uncontrollably. It was very scary to see him so sick. The surgeon is pretty certain that he ruptured his appendix, but they can't do surgery on it right now because there is too much inflamation around the appendix. As of right now he is on antibiotics and pain meds for at least the next 48 hours. He is doing well and his pain is under control. He probably will be in the hospital most of the week.

This has been quite a wake up call for me. I already knew how lucky I was to have him as a husband, but to have him gone from the house makes me realize just how much of a key player he is in our lives. Like I said, he is an amazing husband and father, but I miss all the little things that he does. I miss that he puts a new trashbag in the garbage can because I always forget to do that. I miss that he rocks Sara to sleep every night so I can do dishes and laundry. I miss that he says night time prayers with Mya. I miss that he turns the sheets down every night before bed. I miss that he double checks the locks on the doors before we go to bed at night. And I actually miss his snoring. It is kind of endearing. Okay.....so enough of the missing him stuff. Can you tell that I don't like to be home alone?

The kids and I are doing just fine. All of our family and friends have been wonderful to us. There have been so many offers to babysit so I can visit Dan at the hospital. I have taken many of you up on those offers and I am so grateful. I was able to have an hour alone with him tonight and help him get a shower. I was thankful for that time spent with just him. Tonight as I was driving to pick up the girls from Dan's brother's house, I stumbled upon a song on a christian radio station. It was so uplifting to hear the words and sing the song while praising God. Only my sister knows what that singing might have sounded like. Poor thing had to listen to me sing while we were growing up and it wasn't pretty. Anyhow, the song talked about strength rising and waiting upon the Lord. It was a special time in the car by myself tonight thanking God for being with Dan, me and the girls through all of this.

No comments: