Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Love Dare

Dan and I have this new devotional book for married couples based on the movie Fireproof. We are only on Day 2 of the book, but I can already tell that it is going to be excellent. In the back of the book there are a series of questions to ask each other in our "spare time." One example of a question is "What do you enjoy the most about your life right now?" Or "What is the next major decision that you think God would want us to make as a couple?" We spent about a half hour on Sunday night asking each other these questions and it was so much fun. I learned a lot about Dan's hopes and dreams. That is something we don't take the time to talk about because we are busy with the kids. I think sometimes we get used to being married and focused on life as it is and forget to dream and share with each other.

What lead me to write about this book on the blog was the amazing content in the devotions. We are reading about what love looks like in a marriage. The first day was about patience and last night was about kindness. We were challenged to think about kindness as gentleness, helpfulness, willingness, and initiative. Ephesians 4:32 states "Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." What an amazing verse to focus on in a marriage. We are living in a world where morality is compromised so it is important for us to battle Satan and his influence in our lives with scripture and truth.

I remember just the other day that I woke up to Dan just looking at me, watching me breathe. He was smiling from ear to ear. He said that he loves to just watch me sleep peacefully. Talk about kindness! Picture me with bed head and bad breath and he still likes to look at me in the morning. Wow! I am challenged on a daily basis to show him kindness in ways that I don't always want to. We were both challenged, by the author of the book, to do something unexpected today for each other. Hmmm....I wonder what I will do for Dan today. I love that the author helps us focus on putting each other first. Maybe I will give him the night off and tell him to play video games for hours and hours. Boy would he love that! And boy would that be unexpected!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Sounds like a good book! By the way, did you change the title of your previous post? I didn't realize it was titled "See Julie Run" when I posted my comment - too funny. Unless you changed it after my post, in which case you're a big ol' plagiarist! :)