Thursday, August 27, 2009

Tough Conversations

Yesterday Mya asked about the baby in my belly and I had to quickly decide what I was going to tell her. I told her that the baby wasn't in my belly anymore and that the baby was able to go to heaven with God. She seemed content with that answer so that was all that was said. Tonight we were coming home from visiting Grandpa Jack and Mya asked if God was going to take her to heaven. Then she said that she wanted to go to heaven. Oh boy, how do you explain that one to a two year old? Dan and I tried our best to tell her that God wants her to live with mommy and daddy instead of going to heaven right now. We told her that God needed to take the baby in mommy's belly because he needed him to go to heaven now. Then she asked if God would keep her safe? I think she worries about this God person coming and taking her away, yet she wants to know what this heaven place is all about. That must be so confusing for a little one to understand. Once we told her that God wanted her to live with us she seemed fine and the talk ended. I can't wait to tell her one day why God takes people to heaven. Then we can start to help her understand what it means to accept Christ. That will be cool!

Today I had my hormone levels checked and they will be re-checked again on Saturday. This will tell me for sure if there is a miscarriage. The crazy thing is that I had to ask to have these checked. The doctor was going to do a D&C (which I recently learned is not spelled DNC) without completely confirming the diagnosis. I don't understand that. I respect my doctor, but it seems like things were done out of order. Anyway, I am sure I will know the results by Monday (hopefully). In the meantime, I just continue to wait and trust in the Lord.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

It sounds like you guys handled that conversation with Mya really well! It's easy to give pat answers but it sounds like you really took the opportunity to instill some truth. You guys are great parents. And you know what, maybe this will be a sign to your doctor to give options in the future and ASK people what they want to have done in these situations! Talk about informed consent. Anyways, I'll be praying for you in the days ahead. :)

Jaimi said...

Wow! talk about a tough question! You guys did a great job being honest and encouraging to Mya. I hope you get to tell the doctor you'd like to know all the options next time you see her. I'm glad you requested the bloodwork. Please let me know how it turns out.

Donna said...

Julie, I'm so sorry your are having to go through all this...I did too before Chelsea. Your answers to the girls are spot-on but it's hard to do at the moment...good job!